Jake and I went to Nashville last weekend and it was just the break I needed from reality. He has a lot of off weekends right now, so we’re taking advantage of any traveling while we can. He started his anesthesia training finally, so right now his schedule has been much better. I decided to really live in the moment this trip, taking minimal pictures and also took a break from Instagram. As much as I love blogging, sometimes a break is needed. I wore this outfit all day Saturday and it was perfect and breezy for the hot weather. The dress runs true to size and all of the colors are so fun. We have been to Nashville 3 times, since it’s a quick road trip from Birmingham. If you’ve never been to Nashville, I highly recommend it.
Shop My Outfit:
Use Code: abyers315 for 15% off my dress
When To Visit Nashville:
We have been in winter (post here), fall (post here) and now summer. We both decided that fall or winter is a better time to visit. It was so crowded in the summer and very hot.
Where We Stayed: We stayed in an Airbnb in East Nashville and loved the location. It was close to downtown and we felt safe. I think we will focus on staying in this area next time.
What We Did:
- Belle Meade Plantation/Winery: Last time, we went to Arrington Vineyard, but this time we wanted to stay closer to the city. We did the tour of the plantation and it includes a wine tasting at the end. The plantation is gorgeous and it was fun learning about the history. The family was known for breeding famous race horses, and then later went into major debt due to over-spending on the horses right before a stock market crash. The state of Tennessee now owns it and made it into a museum/winery. The wine tasting at the end was very nice, and I was surprised that I liked the white wine the best. You can only buy the wine on property since it’s owned by a non-profit.
- Broadway Honky Tonks: You cannot visit Music City without visiting the honky tonks. Broadway gets a little wild at night, but it’s fun to people watch. Our favorite honky tonk is Nudie’s, since it’s not overly crowded and the music is better in our opinions.
- Walk Around 12 South: Although 12 South is very touristy, it’s one of my favorite spots for shopping. I love going in the fall/winter because they have a pumpkin patch and Christmas tree farm.
- Parthenon: This is a replica of the original Parthenon in Athens. We didn’t go inside, but it was worth a quick visit.
- See The Belmont University Campus: It’s such a beautiful campus. I cannot imagine how fun it would be to live in Nashville.
- Show At The Grand Ole Opry: We saw Carrie Underwood and I have to say it was very disappointing. She only sang 3 songs and I wasn’t a fan of the other performers. Overall the venue was cool for a concert, but it’s a little bit far outside Nashville.
Where We Ate:
- Jeni’s Ice Cream: We finally tried this spot and it’s excellent.
- Loveless: We were a little let down by our meal this time. We both got a burger and it’s not as good as their fried chicken or bbq. Their biscuits and jam are excellent.
- Urban Grub: This spot never disappoints. We do the brunch buffet (I usually hate buffets) and it was amazing. They let you choose between either one plate with as much food as you can fit on the plate or a more expensive option where you can go back as many times as you want. We always do the cheaper option and challenge ourselves to fit as much food as possible on our one plate!
- Merchants: We got their baked pimento both nights as a late night snack and it was excellent. We plan to go there for dinner next time we’re in town.
- Barcelona Wine Bar: We love their tapas and wine flights. You can create your own wine flight by ordering their smaller pours on the menu.
- See Vanderbilt: We saw part of the campus, but it was mostly the medical center.
- Visit Hillsboro Village: We tried to go to Biscuit Love, but the line was out the door. Hillsboro Village looks so cute, I want to shop there next time.
- Try a new restaurant: Evertime we go to Nashville, we seem to go to the same restaurants. Next time I want to branch out and try at least one new spot.
- John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge: I hear this is a great view of the city
- Johnny Cash Museum
- River Cruise
Sounds like such a fun weekend!! I’m jealous how close you guys are to all these fun cities! Enjoy it! 🙂
Katherine | http://www.oneswainkycouple.com
Thank you so much. It was fun. We love living in the south. It’s been amazing in this season of life, but I do miss family like crazy.
Love this! What a fun trip!
Thank you! It was so much fun.
I haven’t been to Nashville since I was a child! I really want to go back!
Nashville is awesome, you should go visit! It has really grown from what i’ve heard.
Ahhh now that we’re closer I really want to visit Nashville!
You should! It’s such a fun spot to visit.
Thanks for the tips! I’ve been there a long time ago and would love to go again!
You’re so welcome! You’ll have to visit again.
We all need a break from reality Courtney! I am glad that Jake is getting to have a better schedule , it has been so busy it seems since you moved. It is so nice to have Nashville so close to you. We were considering Nashville for a road trip in March , but went to Kansas City instead ( I still have not published the final part of that trip yet!!)
It is good to take a break Courtney from social media ! The dress is gorgeous on you ! It does look ligth and breezy for a hot day and the pattern is so fun . The shoulder bag is a great match for the blue in the dress ! Thanks for sharing the gret places to visit. I will definitely check your post out when we do get to planning a Nashville trip. Have a lovely day, Terri xo.
Hi Terri! yes, breaks are very needed sometimes. Aww you’ll have to visit Nashville someday. I do recommend it in the fall or winter because it was miserably hot this time. I would love to see your final part of the Kansas City post. We are hoping to make it up for a Chiefs game this year.
I was thinking Nashville would be better in the fall alright. I do need to get working on my Kansas City final part for sure! Wishing you a nice Thursday, Terri xo.
Yes, it’s way too hot in the summer. You need to go in like October or later. Thanks, Terri! You too.
This is a great post! We’re heading to Nashville next fall, and I am definitely coming back to this post to do some of your recommendations. I really want to see a show at the Grand Ole Opry.
Thanks, Lindsey! yayy, you will love Nashville. I cannot wait to see your posts