Happy Monday! Jake and I have become quite the seasoned travelers, especially to Las Vegas. We visited twice within the past couple weeks. The first weekend was for my mom and dad’s birthdays/to celebrate Jake’s match results and the second was to watch Jake’s aunt get married.
What amazing weekends we had! Jake and I hadn’t been to Las Vegas together since before we got married (almost 4 years ago). Overall we have been 5 times together now, and our last time prior to these recent trips was almost 5 years ago. Now that I consider myself somewhat of a Vegas expert, I wanted to share my tips for a perfect weekend in Las Vegas + my casual outfit for our first night of our last trip.
About This Look:
This off-the-shoulder asymmetric dress from The Mint Julep Boutique was perfect for our first night in Vegas. Our first night, I typically like to keep it casual, since I am usually tired from traveling. I loved how this dress flowed, and it went perfect with my favorite bamboo bag. I received so many compliments on the dress and bag. You can get $10 off your first order at Mint Julep by signing up for their emails. What a deal! This boutique is actually from Auburn, Alabama, so I hope to visit their store when we move.
Tips For A Perfect Weekend in Las Vegas:
- Wear Comfortable Shoes: I learned this the hard way. I love to dress up, so high heels are my go-to. During our first trip, I mistakenly decided to wear my heels all night. By midnight I was almost in tears because my feet hurt so bad. If you’re like Jake and I, we walk miles in Vegas. At one point, my phone said I walked 8.9 miles in one day. Vegas is a very walkable place, so wear comfortable shoes. I just purchased these shoes for our upcoming NYC trip, so I plan to share how they work after that trip. For this outfit in the pictures, I wore the shoes pictured for dinner, then changed into a different pair for going out on the town.
- Make Reservations For A Nice Dinner: Vegas has so many options when it comes to dining. It seems like each trip we go, we like to go to one nice restaurant for dinner and do casual for the rest. At most casual places you will be fine without reservations, but for fine dining you will need them.
- Be Spontaneous: I will admit I am not the most go with the flow kind of person. If you saw my itinerary for our upcoming NYC trip you would say I’m a control freak. There is so much to do and so little time, so when in Vegas I think it’s more fun to have some plans, but to keep most of your day open to explore. When you walk the Vegas Strip, you will discover new places each time. We have found some of our favorite places by stumbling across them.
- Don’t Wait In Line For The Welcome To Las Vegas Sign: We made this mistake during our first trip and my pictures didn’t even turn out good. There is a huge line and we went when it was too sunny. I would recommend doing pictures from the side of the sign if you really want one. You can do pictures from the side without waiting in line.
- See A Show: Jake and I have been lucky enough to see several shows. We have seen everything from Lil’ Jon to Cirque Du Soleil’s “O” and “Love” (The Beatles), to Terry Fator (ventriloquist) and Le Reve – The Dream. Personally my favorite was Lil’ Jon. It was so fun.
- Skip The Buffets: I might be in the minority on this, but during our two Vegas trips recently I was not overly impressed with the buffet at The Bellagio or The Cosmo. Jake’s family all agreed it was not that good. We also ate at the Wicked Spoon at The Cosmo with my family. The food was just okay for brunch. It didn’t live up to the hype for me. Personally after experiencing two okay buffets that were pricey, I would have rather had a regular amazing meal. I don’t get my money’s worth from the buffet anyway (although Jake does; he loves to get about 20 plates of food at them). When we went to Vegas a few years ago, the Aria buffet was amazing, so if you really want a buffet I would try it (although, take that with a grain of salt, as we haven’t tried that buffet in years so it may have gotten worse like so many of the other Vegas buffets have).
- Go To A Pool Party At A Dayclub: Our favorite is The Marquee at The Cosmopolitan hotel. If you stay at the Cosmo, you get free admission to their dayclub.
- Budget: I am not a big gambler at all. I honestly didn’t gamble at either of these two recent Vegas trips. When I do gamble I set a budget. I say If I lose “X” amount I am done.
- Sleep In: When we go on trips I really try not to sleep in, so I won’t miss out on activities. Vegas is one of those places where there is stuff always going on, so you won’t miss out if you stay up late and sleep in.
Stay tuned for my full guide to Las Vegas on Thursday. I will be sharing everything we did and sharing what are must-do things.
Shop My Look:
Dress (Currently sold out in most sizes, but check back for restocking) | Similar Dress | Similar Dress | Bag | Similar Shoes | Earrings
So fun!! My favorite part of Vegas were the shows we went to! I’ve only been once but they were very memorable! You look darling and I’m so glad you both had a great time.
Katherine | http://www.oneswainkycouple.com
Thank you so much! Yes the shows really are so fun. We’ve been to a different one each time.
That dress is beautiful. Love how it flows and looks so light and beautiful. You wear it well.
Thank you so much! I loved this dress so much. I will wear it all summer too.
O what a beautiful dress!
Thank you so much! I love it
A couple of things:
1) You look gorgeous – I love the hi-low hemline of that dress!
2) I have never been to Vegas and it isn’t really on my must-see list, but you make it sound so fun! I could be persuaded to go to a pool party 😉 I really wanted to go to see Britney Spears so I was sad when she stopped her show
3) I am also the WORST control freak when planning a trip. My itineraries are ridiculous but planning is part of the fun! I will admit I have cried on vacay before when my perfectly planned day had a hitch but I’ve gotten better about going with the flow with time and experience!
You’re the sweetest! Vegas is really fun. I probably wouldn’t have ever visited without my hubby. It’s his fav place. I am probably fine to not visit again for a while unless Britney is back. I was soooo bummed she was not there when we went. I checked!
Oh no, It really is fun. I am trying to be a little bit more laid back with it too and prioritize what we HAVE to do first.
Beauuuutiful! I think this might be my favorite outfit of yours to date, Courtney! That dress looks like it was made for you, and the hemline is so fun! And your bag goes with it perfectly. I’ve never been to Vegas, so your post will come in very handy one day! It’s good to know it’s ok to sleep in there. I’m always up at the crack of dawn when we’re traveling too, so I don’t miss anything. It would be fun to go on a trip and sleep in for once! Haha.
Hope you’re having a wonderful week!
You’re too sweet. Thank you! I loved this dress so much.
You’ll have to visit Vegas. It’s so fun and there’s a lot of sight seeing to if you go outside of Vegas.
Vegas is my favorite city- I have been twice and really want to go again in 2019!! Loved reading your recommendations, I also love the buffet at Aria! (It was still amazing in 2016!)
It’s so fun! I love Vegas. It’s definitely the place I’ve visited the most time. Yes Arias buffet was great in 2010. Glad to hear it’s still amazing. I was not pleased with Bellaigo or Cosmos.
Your dress is so perfect! I love how it lies and flows. And you are so right about number 1 – wear comfortable shoes. We visited Las Vegas once (we’re in the UK) and we walked miles, too!
Thank you so much, Helen! Yes I was sore for days after walking so much.
I love your dress!! Such a great cut. Thanks for the really good Vegas tips. I’ve never been but it’s on my list. I totally agree on the buffet skipping. Most are really over rated in my book. I’ve heard the restaurants are amaziing there though. Thanks for the great guide!!
You’re so sweet. You’ll have to visit. It’s a fun weekend trip. I’m glad you liked my guide.
Hi Courtney, this is such a gorgeous dress on you, I am sure it felt comfy to move around in. Shoes are key I am sure especially in Vegas. If you have the right size purse carrying a cute pair of sandals for walking in along with you , you can change when you like. Bring a gallon ziploc bag to place both sets of shoes in so you dont get dirt in the purse. Budget is so key for me too, I dont gamble much either . I love the point on sleeping in. With all the walking you do need sleep. It is ok to sleep in. You are not going to miss too much! I am excited you are going to NYC! Have a lovely day, hugs, Terri xo.
Hey Terri! Thank you for your sweet compliments. It was really comfortable. I loved it! Yes comfy shoes are key for Vegas and any trip you do a lot of walking. Yes I do that too. I bring a large purse and put the shoes in a bag. NYC was fun. I’ll do some posts on it soon.
Side note, this girl reminds me so much of you Courtney! cominguprosestheblog.com/aske-where-to-get-cute-dresses/
Oh how cool. I’m checking her out now. Thanks, Terri.
Hi Courtney , I see the link I gave didnt come up as a clickable link. I hope you were able to get to Erica’s blog. Have a lovely weekend, hugs, Terri xo.
Hi Terri. I typed the link into my browser and found her blog. She’s sooooo cute.
Absolutely she is so cute. I told you she reminded me of you!! Hugs, Terri xo.
So pretty…Thanks and Best Regards!