Shop This Look:
**Use code BF18795 for 20% off sweater/skirt and your full purchase at SheIn**
Happy Monday! It has finally recently started to look and feel like fall in Birmingham. The trees are changing and the leaves are starting to fall. I was beginning to think maybe we wouldn’t get a fall. Best of all, Thanksgiving is just a little over a week away! I thought it would be fun to share my favorite Thanksgiving traditions + an outfit option to wear on Thanksgiving.
My favorite Thanksgiving Traditions:
- Family Time: Thanksgiving wouldn’t be anything without spending time with family. This year my parents are coming down to spend time with us. One thing I do really miss is living closer to both of our families.
- Reflect On What I’m Thankful For: Although we shouldn’t need a day to reflect on what we’re thankful for, this is something I make a point to do. A lot of times my family will go around the table and share, too. I will be sharing a blog post next Monday with what I’m most thankful for this year.
- Cooking Family Recipes: Of course food is one of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions. This year, my parents and I are ordering catering, since it’s just us 4. We do plan to make some of our family recipes though and incorporate some of Jake’s family’s recipes, too. My grandparents make the best strawberry jello salad with a pretzel crust (it tastes like cheesecake). This is something I will be making and it’s so easy (recipe here). My dad also makes the best turkey stuffing. Hopefully I can convince him to make it. Some of Jake’s family traditions are excellent egg noodles that are rich and creamy, as well as hummus, tabouli, and pumpkin bars. My family usually does a late lunch for our main Thanksgiving festivities and Jake’s does more of a dinner.
- Sweets: Some of my favorite Thanksgiving treats are, of course, pumpkin pie and pecan pie. Jake’s mom makes delicious pumpkin bars. A lot of times my dad will pick up a key lime pie too. We always have a lot of options on Thanksgiving.
- Macy’s Day Parade: Ever since I was a little kid, we have always watched the Macy’s Day Parade. I always love to see NYC all decorated and full of cheer. I hope to go to the parade someday.
- Football: Although I’m not a huge pro football fan, I do enjoy watching the games with my family.
- Decorating For Christmas: A lot of times after the meal is over and we’ve had time to relax, my parents will get the decorations out for Christmas. This is something I always helped my mom with. It is sometimes more of a Friday thing.
- Walk Around The Neighborhood: After Thanksgiving, my family a lot of times goes on a walk to work the meal off. This is usually something that happens hours later.
- Online Shopping: When it comes to Black Friday, I am not the type of person who wants to shop in the busy stores. I love to take advantage of the sales that usually start on Thanksgiving.
My attempt at throwing leaves (they blend in with the tree).
About This Outfit:
When it comes to Thanksgiving, I want to be stylish, yet also casual. I mainly focus on comfort, too. This skirt is comfortable and I know it still would be after a plate full of seconds! I did size up to make sure the skirt wouldn’t be too tight in the hips. The cardigan is cozy and has the perfect fall colors. I added tall boots to make the outfit warmer.
What are your favorite Thanksgiving traditions? Stay tuned for Thursday, when I will be sharing a last minute Thanksgiving outfit guide, and on Monday I will be sharing what I am thankful for.
I’m just adoring these pictures!! You look so cute and festive! Love that sweater too.
Katherine | http://www.oneswainkycouple.com
Aw thanks so much, Katherine!
So many of my favorites are on this list too- Happy Holidays!
Yay!! Happy Holidays to you as well <3
That is such a cute outfit, Courtney! Perfect for Thanksgiving. I loved reading about your Thanksgiving traditions too. My mom and I like to decorate for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving too (in between online Black Friday shopping, of course).
Aww thank you so much, Lindsey! I am glad you liked reading them. It was a fun post to put together. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
Great fall look. I love that maroon sweater, it’s one of my favorites colors. It would look great with a pair of jeans. I love pieces that can be dressed up or down.
Thank you so much! I love versatile pieces like that too 🙂
YES!!! So love the Thanksgiving traditions too!
Yes, traditions are so fun 🙂
Love this outfit so much and the traditions! The Macy’s parade is big in our house too.
Aw thank you! I hope you enjoyed the Macy’s parade and had a Happy Thanksgiving.
Cheryl’s Pumpkin Bars are the best! We were just talking about making them! Happy Thanksgiving!
They really are so delicious. She gave me the recipe and I plan to make them for Thanksgiving 🙂
I love that cardigan so much! So perfect for the holidays!
Thank you so much, Kelsey 🙂
Such a great post Courtney! I am glad you are getting fall and hopefully temps to match! We have switched to winter already it is 12F right now! It is a really cute outfit you are modelling, the button up skirt goes nice with the cami and cardigan . The boots are really cute! Your thanksgiving traditions are very similar to the values and events we do as a family! Family time is so important, and giving thanks for what we have in this country. Cooking and baking is so fun to do to help out with the meal. Football is better to watch when you have family you d’ont see every day to view it with! A walk is great to do after a big meal. Take care Dear, Terri xo. P.S. I see the effort you put in in throwing the leaves, good job!
Thank you so much for your sweet comment, Terri! Sorry i’ve been a little MIA due to the holidays. I wanted to soak up every second with my family. I hope yo had a wonderful thanksgiving! I cannot wait to catch up on your blog posts soon too. We have started to get winter weather too. We even had our first snow, but it didn’t stick and warmed up quickly.
You are welcome Courtney! It is no problem , your time like all of ours is busy and I am glad you got to spend time with family. Thanksgiving was very nice , My brother-in-law and his family hosted. How did you like the first snow? Have a wonderful week ahead, Terri xo.
P.S. how is your new job going for you?
Aww so glad y’all had a fun Thanksgiving. It is so nice to be with family. Our snow wasn’t really a snow, but it was pretty. My job is going really well, but keeping me busy. It is about to get slow for the holidays though. Gives me time to catch up and get ahead. I loved that picture you sent me for younger wives. Such good advice. I agree with it all 🙂