Shop My Outfit:
I cannot believe I’m celebrating my 4th year of blogging and 3rd year since I rebranded to “A Byers Guide.” Each year I like to sit down and reflect on what I’ve learned about blogging during the year. This year has by far been the most challenging year to stay consistent/have motivation to create as we’ve been living through a pandemic, all the heaviness in the news, and I’ve been learning to balance motherhood. It’s been the biggest adjustment, but blogging has also helped me feel like myself during such a weird time. I like to look back at my previous reflection posts and am laughing as I read last year’s post, where I said “I plan to share my motherhood journey on here, but don’t plan to become a mommy blogger.” It’s funny how things change because Scarlett is in almost all of my posts now. Being a mama has been the absolute best and hardest thing I’ve done.
When I was taking these photos, I decided to do 4 balloons for my 4th blog anniversary. Unfortunately one balloon deflated mid-shoot, but it stills works since its 3 years since I rebranded. My reaction when I noticed was funny.
What I’ve learned About Balancing Motherhood And Blogging:
- To give myself grace: This is probably the biggest thing I’ve learned this year in general and especially with motherhood/blogging. Being a mom is the best but hardest thing I’ve done. I’ve had to learn that it’s okay for me to not be as consistent as I used to be. I have a lot less free time than I did when I worked full-time and I never want to not be present with Scarlett. The only time I really have to blog are nap times and bedtime. I’ve learned to take a step back when needed.
- Plan ahead: This has really helped me with balancing. I like to look at my monthly calendar and get inspired by what is coming up seasonally. I keep a running list of ideas that I have. I come up with a content calendar, and I always keep it flexible now that I’m a mom.
- Embrace at-home photoshoots: The lockdown taught me to embrace at-home shoots and get creative with them. Pre-COVID I very rarely did at-home shoots. This has been a lot more practical and easier for me as a mom too. I invested in a ring light to help with our bad lighting.
- Doing something for me: Blogging is something I do for me and it is something that has helped me when I’ve felt lost. The photoshoots and dressing up give me a sense of normalcy too.
- Finding a balance: Finding balance has been hard, I feel like I go through stages of being very motivated then not motivated. I think this is normal for most people right now too. I’ve been enjoying focusing on seasonal content, then taking breaks as needed.
About my outfit:
This gorgeous top and skirt are both from Chicwish. This was originally supposed to be for New Year’s Eve content, but I ended up saving it for my blog anniversary since it’s so festive. I got my normal size in both the top and bottom and they fit perfectly. I love the feminine bow detail on this skirt. I am planning to style it for Valentine’s Day too with a red or pink top.
Sometimes it seems surreal I’ve been doing this so long. 4 years ago I remember being terrified to launch my blog to the world, but I’m glad I took a chance. You can read why I started my blog here and my reflection posts (1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year). I am so thankful for the creative outlet it has provided me and the opportunities I never would have dreamt would be possible. Thank you so much for following along my journey, I am truly grateful for your support.