Shop My Outfit:
I cannot believe I’m celebrating my 4th year of blogging and 3rd year since I rebranded to “A Byers Guide.” Each year I like to sit down and reflect on what I’ve learned about blogging during the year. This year has by far been the most challenging year to stay consistent/have motivation to create as we’ve been living through a pandemic, all the heaviness in the news, and I’ve been learning to balance motherhood. It’s been the biggest adjustment, but blogging has also helped me feel like myself during such a weird time. I like to look back at my previous reflection posts and am laughing as I read last year’s post, where I said “I plan to share my motherhood journey on here, but don’t plan to become a mommy blogger.” It’s funny how things change because Scarlett is in almost all of my posts now. Being a mama has been the absolute best and hardest thing I’ve done.
When I was taking these photos, I decided to do 4 balloons for my 4th blog anniversary. Unfortunately one balloon deflated mid-shoot, but it stills works since its 3 years since I rebranded. My reaction when I noticed was funny.
What I’ve learned About Balancing Motherhood And Blogging:
- To give myself grace: This is probably the biggest thing I’ve learned this year in general and especially with motherhood/blogging. Being a mom is the best but hardest thing I’ve done. I’ve had to learn that it’s okay for me to not be as consistent as I used to be. I have a lot less free time than I did when I worked full-time and I never want to not be present with Scarlett. The only time I really have to blog are nap times and bedtime. I’ve learned to take a step back when needed.
- Plan ahead: This has really helped me with balancing. I like to look at my monthly calendar and get inspired by what is coming up seasonally. I keep a running list of ideas that I have. I come up with a content calendar, and I always keep it flexible now that I’m a mom.
- Embrace at-home photoshoots: The lockdown taught me to embrace at-home shoots and get creative with them. Pre-COVID I very rarely did at-home shoots. This has been a lot more practical and easier for me as a mom too. I invested in a ring light to help with our bad lighting.
- Doing something for me: Blogging is something I do for me and it is something that has helped me when I’ve felt lost. The photoshoots and dressing up give me a sense of normalcy too.
- Finding a balance: Finding balance has been hard, I feel like I go through stages of being very motivated then not motivated. I think this is normal for most people right now too. I’ve been enjoying focusing on seasonal content, then taking breaks as needed.
About my outfit:
This gorgeous top and skirt are both from Chicwish. This was originally supposed to be for New Year’s Eve content, but I ended up saving it for my blog anniversary since it’s so festive. I got my normal size in both the top and bottom and they fit perfectly. I love the feminine bow detail on this skirt. I am planning to style it for Valentine’s Day too with a red or pink top.
Sometimes it seems surreal I’ve been doing this so long. 4 years ago I remember being terrified to launch my blog to the world, but I’m glad I took a chance. You can read why I started my blog here and my reflection posts (1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year). I am so thankful for the creative outlet it has provided me and the opportunities I never would have dreamt would be possible. Thank you so much for following along my journey, I am truly grateful for your support.
Happy Blogiversary Courtney!!! This past year has definitely been tough on all of us!
Curated By Jennifer
Thanks, Jennifer! Yes it has.
Many congratulations on 4 years blogging Courtney !! It has been a privilege know you nearly all that time , your posts are so full of quality content , it is easy to keep coming back for more . The addition of beautiful Scarlett is a real highlight these past few months . I love your reaction photo! Grace is so impoirtant , it is good to step back, I have done it also this past year. You need to cherish these precious moments with Scarlett. Your homeshoots have been so lovely to see as your Baby girl develops and grows! Blogging is something for me also. We need it Courtney! This is one of my favorite outfits that you have modelled! The skirt is so femiinine I love it! The top goes so well with it . It has been so nice following you! Have a lovely day, Terri xo.
Aw thanks, Terri! I cannot believe it’s been 4 years. I am so glad we got to connect, it has been so fun getting to know you and see your lovely picks. You are so sweet! Absolutely, I have learned so much this year about taking a step back and being present with Scarlett. I am so glad you liked it. 🙂
Congrats! It’s so hard to find the time to dedicate to blogging with a child, I agree!
Thank you so much! It really is. I try to as much as I can, but don’t put too much pressure on myself.