It seems like just yesterday I was thinking about starting my blog, and I cannot believe I’m already sitting here 3 years later typing this post; it honestly feels like a dream come true! Before I started my blog, it was something I had wanted to do for years. I kept up with many other blogs and had always thought about creating my own, but I was too scared of failure. Years later I finally built up the courage and launched “Life of a Med School Wife” on January 13, 2017. I am so thankful I did. Also, wow, my blog has come a long way (you can see my first post here-I cannot believe I’m sharing this post haha).
Blogging has become a huge part of my life as I’ve created my own brand. I started off as “Life of a Med School Wife” when I created my original blog during Jake’s 3rd year of medical school. It was an extremely busy time for him, and I felt like something was missing in my life. I needed an ongoing project that used my creativity, and I’m thankful I decided to make blogging that project. Two years later as Jake was about to graduate medical school, I rebranded to my current blog “A Byers Guide.” You can read my full story of why I started blogging here.
During these 3 years, I’ve had the privilege of working with some of my favorite brands that I never dreamed would be possible to work with. I’ve had many times during my blogging career where I’ve felt star struck when I’ve gotten to work with one of my dream brands. I have also made great connections with other bloggers that I am lucky to call friends now. Over these 3 years I have shared some very personal posts with some of the biggest changes in our life (Jake’s match day announcement, our pregnancy announcement, gender reveal) and I’ve also shared several personal posts too, talking about anxiety I’ve faced. I just wanted to say thank you so much from the bottom of my heart to everyone who reads my blog. It’s such an honor and privilege that you choose to stop by my little corner of the internet.
Over the past 3 years, I’ve seen huge changes in the blogging industry. A newer term that has come up is “influencers”. In today’s day and age, many “influencers” no longer actually maintain a blog (they focus on Instagram only). I’ll be honest, I am not a fan of the term “influencer” as it sounds pretentious. I still refer to myself as a “blogger”. With the huge industry changes, I wanted to explain why 3 years later I am probably the most inspired I’ve ever been with my blog.
Why I still love blogging 3 years later:
- The need to create: As I mentioned, I have a huge need to create. I am a very creative person and, in my normal 9-5 job, I don’t get the ability to use my creativity much. Blogging is something I am very passionate about and it really helps me feel inspired.
- I love projects/telling a story: I also mentioned that I love to have an ongoing project. With how busy Jake is, I need my own hobbies too. Sometimes I feel like I’m going crazy between having a full-time job and a blog that can feel like a full-time job too. There is not a more fulfilling feeling that I get than when I finish a project for my blog. I am a huge planner and enjoy coming up with content ideas and creating that content. I also love that blogging helps tell a story and I can share my personal experiences. When I create my content calendars, it helps me think out of the box and come up with fun projects and ideas. With Instagram, you are more limited by how much you can share. I very much prefer my blog for this reason.
- Free Therapy: Another reason I love blogging is that it’s a journal. I love looking back to see where I was in my life and what I was going through. Blogging is very therapeutic to me and is basically free therapy.
- Accountability: My blog helps me become a lot more accountable because I have deadlines that are either personal or determined by brand partners. I am a very deadline oriented person and love the accountability this has given me.
- You don’t own your Instagram account: Instagram has gone through major changes since I started. They’ve completely updated their algorithm and it’s much harder to succeed on Instagram now in terms of growth and engagement. Instagram could be wiped out tomorrow and, if you put all your eggs in one basket, your brand could essentially be gone. I love the fact that I own my own blog and, even if Instagram goes away, my blog won’t.
While I don’t know the future of my blog, I do know many changes will come as I become a mother. I plan to definitely incorporate our daughter on the blog as this will be relevant to my life. I plan to share my motherhood journey on here, but don’t plan to become a mommy blogger. I cannot wait to see what’s next for “A Byers Guide.”
Again I want to thank you so much for your support during the past 3 years. Whether this is your first time coming to my blog or if you’ve been reading it since I started, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have helped make my dreams come true! If you ever have a dream, don’t stop yourself from following it.
Congrats on your 3 year blogiversary friend! So glad we’ve connected through blogging. I feel the exact same way about blogging as you do- my website will always be my favorite!
Thank you so much, Annaliese! I am so glad we did too 🙂 Absolutely, Instagram always gets me stressed with changes, but my blog is something I always enjoy.
Aww I love this! Cannot believe it’s been 3 years! Fun to see the changes and keep track of progress 🙂
Katherine | http://www.oneswainkycouple.com
Thank you so much, Katherine! I cannot believe it’s been 3 years.
Love this! Happy blog anniversary!
Thank you so much 🙂
Congrats on your 3rd year blogging!!! I love blogging all so much too!! It’s just a fun platform to be on!!! I can’t wait to see more of your blogs!
Thank you so much! It really is so fun. I cannot wait to see more of yours too.
Have fun blogging about things you love!
It makes a huge difference 🙂
Happy 3 year anniversary Courtney! They have been very enjoyable years following you . It’s great you get to work with your favorite brands while blogging. It has been so nice connecting with YOU also my Friend ❤ You have let go of any fears and told us a lot of your thoughts and ambitions. You are living one of them now with being pregnant and expecting a baby Girl. It is so nice to stop by your corner of the internet! It always feels good to hit “publish” after completing a post! A blog is a journal, I don’t keep a diary as my blog telling weekly story. The free therapy is
so true. I am glad your blog will go on with your Baby girl in it! You are so welcome, coming here is inspiring and always uplifting. Have a great day, love the outfit, Terri xoxo
Thank you so much, Terri! 🙂 I am so glad we connected too. I cannot wait to see all of the changes to come. Have a lovely week 🙂
Congratulations on your blog Anniversary. Keep it up.
Thank you so much! It’s flown by.
Congratulations, Courtney!! 3 years is a huge milestone! I’m so glad we connected through blogging – I always look forward to your blog posts. I cannot wait to see what is in store for you next! I also absolutely agree with your sentiments on Instagram… you really don’t want to be putting all of your eggs in one basket with that platform.
Thank you so much, Lindsey! It has flown by. I wish I had started earlier. You’re so sweet, I always look forward to yours as well. I am so glad you agree with me.