Shop My Outfit:
Over the weekend, Jake and I made a quick trip to see his family in Oklahoma. Although his family is closer to Tulsa, we made a quick pit stop to our old house in Oklahoma City to pick up a few things we didn’t have room to move. If you’re new to my blog, prior to coming to Birmingham, we lived in Oklahoma City for 4 years while Jake was in medical school. Jake is originally from Oklahoma and, although I’m from Texas, I attended college at Oklahoma State University, where Jake and I met.
I still get asked for OKC recommendations since I lived in Oklahoma for a total of 9 years. I have been meaning to write a full guide to OKC blog post for over a year. Before we moved, we came up with our OKC bucket list called “The Tour de OKC”. We thankfully had enough time during Jake’s 4th year of medical school to accomplish most of the things on the list. After moving to Birmingham, I had a rough transition and didn’t get around to publishing that post. Luckily I convinced Jake to stop at my favorite picture location, The Paseo Arts District, so I could share my favorite spots in OKC. We loved our 4 years in Oklahoma City, and OKC really does have a lot to offer. I actually find Birmingham and OKC to be very similar cities. OKC has changed a lot even over the past year since we’ve been gone. We lived in far north Oklahoma City and were not as close to the fun places like we are in Birmingham.
About My Outfit:
Gingham is a must-have summer pattern and this Chicwish one is perfect! I love that it has a gorgeous bow detail in the back and the quality is amazing. It runs true to size and is perfect to wear for many occasions. This one is lightweight, but not see-through. I was actually able to not wear a bra with the dress, since the fabric was thick enough. I styled it with some pops of color since I knew I’d be taking pictures of it in a bright background.
Where To Stay:
- Skirvin Hilton
- Ambassador Hotel
- Colcord Hotel
- 21C Museum Hotel
Things to Do in OKC:
- Thunder Game (We miss having a pro sports team. Thunder games are so fun. I didn’t used to like the Thunder, since I was born and raised in Dallas, but actually would root for them over the Mavs now).
- Dodgers Baseball Game: I hate baseball, but baseball games are fun to attend.
- Myriad Botanical Gardens: I loved visiting this spot. In the fall they had cute pumpkin displays.
- Wheeler Park: This is a such a cute spot for a photo op.
- Boat around Bricktown: Although this is extremely touristy, we did this before we moved. It was interesting because the guide told us all about OKC’s history.
- OKC Bombing Memorial: I have actually never have been here. The bombing was so tragic and is a huge part of OKC and Oklahoma’s history. The bombing actually played a large role in OKC becoming the city it is today. A lot of the projects, specifically Bricktown, were funded by initiatives that were passed in the years right after the bombing in an effort to rise from the ashes of the tragedy.
- Remington Park: Jake had a med school formal here. It would be so fun to go watch the Kentucky Derby there via simulcast.
- OKC Art Museum
- OKC Zoo
- Bleu Garten: I miss this food truck park so much and wish Birmingham had one. We do have a lot of food trucks in Birmingham and a food hall, but not an outdoor food truck park.
- Paseo Arts District, my favorite area (that’s where these photos were taken): Paseo Grill, Picasso Grill, and lots of boutique shops and art galleries with gorgeous and distinctively unique architecture. The style reminds me of Santa Fe, New Mexico mixed with Charleston.
- Uptown: Guyute’s, Cuppies and Joe, Guernsey Park, Tucker’s Onion Burgers, The Drake
- Midtown: Bleu Garten, Fassler Hall, Stella’s, O Bar, McNellie’s
- Automobile Alley: Sidecar, The Yard, Water’s Edge Winery
- Bricktown (a little too touristy for my taste): Pearl’s Crabtown, Mickey Mantle’s, Mantle’s Bistro, OKC Thunder and Dodgers stadiums, Sonic corporate office with one of the few indoor Sonic restaurants, Fuzzy’s, and the Bricktown Canal
- Plaza District: The Mule, Oak and Ore, Roxy’s, Pie Junkie, The Pritchard is a wine bar and restaurant there as well but Jake was disappointed with the amount of food they give you for the price.
- Chisolm Creek (near our OKC house, this is one of the newest districts in OKC): Sidecar, Republic, Yokozuna, Top Golf, Hatch, another Fuzzy’s, and several other places have opened up there since we left
- Lake Hefner: We lived really close to this area and loved all of the restaurants there, including Mama Rojas’s, Louie’s on the Lake, Red Rock Canyon Grill, and Hefner Grill
- Western Ave: The Barrel, The Wedge, Musashi’s, The Drum Room
Favorite Spots For A Fancy Date Night:
- Mahogany: This is a high-end steakhouse. Try their chocolate martini or adult milkshake; you’ll thank me later. This is where we always celebrated our anniversary.
- The Ranch
- Flint: This is located at the Colcord Hotel.
- Red Prime Steakhouse
Favorite Drink Spots:
- Sidecar Wine and Barley Bar: Their cheese board is on point.
- Jones Assembly: they have the best froze, y’all (frozen rose wine)!
- Fassler Hall: A German beer hall. Their duck fries are out of this world.
- The Ambassador Hotel roof top bar (O Bar)
- Packards (specifically their rooftop bar-they also have wine flights in their restaurant).
Favorite Casual Spots:
- Guyutes: Try their tequila sunfryz, which are one of the most unique food combinations I’ve ever tasted. Also, the Return of the Mac burger is excellent. Get the macaroni on the side so you can make sure to have some for every bite.
- 1492: Favorite Mexican food
- Upper Crust: One of my pizza places in OKC. Their anti-pizza plate (cheese board) is one my favorite cheese board I’ve ever had. Their bottle-and-pie deal during Happy Hour is an outstanding bargain; I highly recommend the Flying Pig pizza smothered in their homemade ranch dressing.
- Jones Assembly
- Tucker’s Onion Burgers
- The Barrel
- Packards: I love their cheese board selection and wine flights. They have a macaroni entree that they can add bacon and/or chicken to; I highly recommend it.
- The Mule: They have a sandwich called the Macaroni Pony and it’s my favorite pony since My Little Pony.
- Republics: burger bar and gastropub
- Pearls Crab Town: Their chowder fries are amazing
Favorite Brunch Spots:
- Cheevers: My favorite OKC brunch
- Waffle Champion
- Hefner Grill
Favorite Dessert Spots:
- Pie Junkie
- Cuppies and Joe
Sadly we didn’t get to explore much while we were in OKC this weekend. I didn’t even get to see friends. We did get to stop at Guyutes, our favorite and the most unique spot in the city. For more on Oklahoma City, make sure to check out my blogger friend Amandasok.com. She always has the best OKC guides.