I’m so excited to finally be sharing my first Birmingham food guide on my monthly Bite-Size Birmingham series. I share a lot of fashion on my blog, but I am also very much a foodie. My dad has worked in the restaurant business his whole career, and I grew up trying local restaurants with my family in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I was not a picky kid and my love for unique food has rubbed off on Jake (he was really picky when we first met). The first time we visited Birmingham, we quickly discovered that the Bham food scene is out of this world amazing. When it comes to food, sweets are my favorite, so I wanted to share the best desserts in Birmingham for my first food guide. These spots/desserts are in no particular order. They are all excellent and a must-try.
Bham’s Best Desserts:
- Cookie Dough Magic: Growing up, I always wanted to eat the raw cookie dough, but you’re really not supposed to since it can make you sick (because of the risk of Salmonella). Cookie Dough Magic is an amazing concept because they sell cookie dough that’s safe to eat. Every flavor I’ve tried from them is incredible, and they even sell milk to go with the treat. The cookie dough is very rich, so you only need a small amount to be extremely satisfied.
- Cookie Fix: This spot has been on my list to try since we moved to Birmingham. We stopped by on a Saturday and each got a cookie to-go for after dinner. The cookies are small, but very thick. They’re very soft and delicious. Nothing is worse than a hard cookie, so they know what they’re doing. This spot absolutely lived up to the hype and I cannot wait to go back. Tip: I would suggest going toward the beginning of the day; we went near closing time on Saturday, and they had sold out of most of their flavors.
- Big Spoon Creamery: Big Spoon is one of my favorites in Birmingham because of the unique ice cream flavors. My favorite is called “Snack Mix”, which features chunks of brownie, pretzels and more. You get that sweet and savory mix, which is a win-win for me. They change their menu out monthly (which is both a blessing and a curse) and it unfortunately looks like they don’t carry Snack Mix right now, but they still have plenty of excellent sounding flavors.
- Olexa’s: If you’re looking for a good lunch spot in Bham, Olexa’s is perfect for meeting up with girlfriends. When I went to lunch there with some friends, the Warm French Vanilla Butter Cream Cake was highly recommended. Usually I’m more of a chocolate fan, but this cake might be the best cake I’ve ever had. They heat it up before they bring it out, and as a result, the icing melts in your mouth. The cake is perfectly moist and absolutely delicious.
- Steel City Pops: Steel City Pops, which is starting to grow into a national chain, is originally from right here in Birmingham, and they have the most amazing popsicles. They sell Steel City Pops at our Saturday farmers market and at a lot of local events as well. Their pops are so fresh, and instead of just artificially tasting like the flavor they are supposed to be, many/most of them actually contain the real ingredients. For instance, one of their fall flavors a couple years ago (and Jake’s personal favorite) was a banana pudding one with actual banana slices and vanilla wafers frozen into the popsicle.
- Ashley Mac’s: We got our Thanksgiving dinner catered from them and had to try their famous strawberry cake. It is absolutely incredible, with the perfect amount of sweetness. I haven’t had it in a while and am craving it now. This is also an amazing lunch spot.
- Mountain Brook Creamery: These photos were taken at Mountain Brook Creamery, which is just the cutest old fashion styled creamery in town. While their flavors are very traditional, it’s great ice cream that always hits the spot. Jake really liked it because you can get plain strawberry ice cream, which is one of his favorites.
- Coconut Cake from Highlands Bar and Grill: Highlands Bar and Grill won the James Beard award recently for the best restaurant in America. Their coconut cream cake is my favorite thing on their menu. Jake and I have been to several of Frank Stitt’s restaurant and although Highlands isn’t our favorite of his, it’s worth it to go there for cake and champagne.
- Lemon Bar From Marta’s Bakery: We first tried their lemon bar at The Fig Tree the first time Jake’s parents visited. They put a special raspberry sauce on the lemon bar and it’s excellent. Marta’s is located around the corner from The Fig Tree, but sadly they don’t sell the raspberry sauce at the bakery, just to The Fig Tree.
- S’mores Pot De Crème Avondale Common House: S’mores are one of my favorite treats and this one is excellent. It’s basically a pudding with components of S’mores. It’s very rich, but delicious.
- Peanut Butter Cream Pie from John’s City Diner: I am a huge peanut butter fan. John’s is yet another of the many Birmingham restaurants that have both outstanding entrees and desserts.
- Deep Fried Oreos from Melt: This is one of Jake’s favorites. The Oreo inside the breading is so soft and warm that it melts in your mouth, while the breading is covered in the most delectable powdered sugar.
- Edgar’s Bakery: I’ve never had a treat from Edgar’s that wasn’t great. They sell everything from cookies to cake to great non-sweets too.
On My List To Try:
While we’ve tried most sweet spots in Birmingham, we still have a few more to try.
- Lucky Cat Kitchen and Creamery
- Continental Bakery
- Dream Cakes
- Birmingham Candy Company
About This Outfit:
This is my last summer look on my blog for the season. I will be back soon with transitional fall looks. When I saw this skirt, I immediately imagined shooting it with ice cream. It is so beautiful and I love all of the colors. It runs true to size and is great quality. When taking these pictures it was pouring down rain, so we had to shoot inside. The creamery is so cute both inside and outside. We’ve been having a lot of rain lately, so I am not sure if I will have a post on Thursday or not due to the rain. I will also be taking Labor Day off and enjoying the long weekend.
What’s your favorite dessert spot in Birmingham?
Shop My Outfit:USE CODE ABYERS315 FOR 15% OFF MY Skirt