Shop My Outfit:
Happy Monday! I cannot believe it’s April and time for my monthly back to basics post series. The past 3+ weeks or so of social distancing have gone by really fast, but also slow at the same time. April also means Scarlett will be here in a little over a month (she’s due May 16th).
Although we don’t have any places to go right now, I wanted to share some spring/summer wardrobe essentials. Spring is one of my favorite seasons and I’m sadly missing dressing up. I did dress up the other day for our neighborhood walk and it felt good to have a little normalcy. I’m also dressing up for my doctor’s appointments too. Sadly I’ve hardly had a chance to wear a lot of my maternity clothes.
Spring/Summer Wardrobe Essentials:
- Gingham Print: This is one of my favorite spring and summer prints. I bought this dress in the photos to wear on our babymoon, which we of course canceled. I couldn’t let it go to waste, so I wore it on a walk. This dress is maternity, but I saw in the reviews that it also works when you’re not pregnant. It will be great for postpartum and seems nursing friendly.
- Lilly Pulitzer: Lilly is always a good idea in my book. I have been obsessed with her collection since high school, I even have my room done in Lilly at my parents. Lilly works for all year, but especially spring and summer.
- Little White Dress: I love how fresh a little white dress is. I did a whole back to basics post on the LWD last year.
- A Trench Coat: Although it’s mostly warm in Birmignham at this point, a tan trench coat is a must-have for spring. It seems to be a little cold on Easter usually and this is the perfect piece to layer with.
- Denim jacket: A denim jacket is also a great layering piece as well. It’s the perfect layer, especially at night when it is sometimes a little chilly.
- Espadrilles: These are great for both spring and summer.
- Pastels: When I think of Easter outfits, I quickly think of pastels. I love these tones for spring weather.
- Shorts: When it’s warmer, some cute shorts are a must. Some of my favorites are J. Crew and Lilly Pulitzer.
- Florals: “Florals? For spring? Ground breaking.” This quote from one of my favorite movies, The Devil Wears Prada, quickly came to mind. Florals are the perfect print to match the gorgeous spring flowers outside.
- Sandals: I live in sandals in summer and spring. Some of my favorites are my Tory Burch Millers and Jack Rogers. I am hoping to get another pair of Tory Burch ones in tan when I can catch them on sale. Unfortunately, Nordstrom canceled my recent order when they were on sale.
- Eyelet: White eyelet and all eyelet is one of my favorite classics spring/summer fabrics.
- Chambray: With the warmer weather, a chambray dress or top is a perfect light layer.
- White Jeans: I love white jeans year round, but they’re especially perfect in spring and are so cute paired with a denim jacket if it’s chilly.
- Rain Boots: “April showers bring May flowers.” Luckily we haven’t had much rain lately, but I see it’s coming soon. I love my hot pink rain boots from this post.
- Sundresses: I love me a good sundress; they’re easy to wear day or nighttime.
I missed my post on Thursday because, to be honest, I wasn’t feeling up to writing and sharing about fashion with all that’s going on in the world. Hearing of all the lives lost and a lot of people losing jobs has really hit me hard. It has been a really challenging time emotionally to be pregnant for me. I miss not being terrified to go to my OB appointments, not being worried about Jake working in the hospital, and not being scared to leave the house to get groceries. I’ve also been sad about canceling our baby moon and not being able to take maternity photos with a photographer at a location of my choice with shelter in place going on. It’s also so hard not being able to have our families help us get ready for baby girl and knowing there’s a good chance they won’t be able to meet her at the hospital. It’s also been sad not being able to dress the bump and actually wear the outfits out in public/taking advantage of date nights out with just us two. Everytime Scarlett kicks I am immediately full of joy and reminded of the miracle of pregnancy. I know staying at home is worth keeping her safe. Being quarantined is so small in the scheme of what our world is going through. Everyone is handing this differently and the most important thing we can do is staying safe at home. I’m so thankful for all of the essential workers during this time. I am praying for your safety. This too shall pass!