I cannot believe October is here and that we’re starting to get some lower temperatures this week (70s/80s). Fall is one of my favorite seasons for fashion because you can always count on many fall staples to be in style. While I love trends, I also love that I’m able to wear the same basics each fall. On this month’s back to basics series post, I wanted to highlight several fall staples that I love. With fall, I love to invest in some nicer quality pieces that I can bring out every year. It’s worth the investment to have clothes that last for several years.
Must Have Fall Staples:
- Boots/Booties: In the past few years, over-the-knee boots have been huge and still are. When it comes to boots, I like to buy nicer ones that will last for many years. I also love riding boots for every day. Booties are also perfect for when it’s still hot. They can really change up an outfit and make it look like fall. If you are looking to only add one pair of booties or boots, I highly recommend a cognac brown color because it goes with everything, including black. See full outfit post here.
- Jackets: For fall I love leather jackets, suede jackets and denim jackets. Even in late fall in Alabama, it’s not cold enough for a full-on coat. This is the perfect way to really elevate a look, making it look more polished. I always find myself pulling out the same jackets over and over. I have a brown one and a black one. These leather jackets I linked below are my favorite because the price point isn’t too high, but the quality is amazing. They’re still going strong years later.See full outfit post here.
- Long Cardigans: Long cardigans are so cozy and can bring a short dress or skirt into fall. They look perfect with skirts or jeans. Layering is key in the fall and I cannot get enough cozy cardigans.See full outfit post here.
- Sweaters: There’s nothing better than a cozy sweater in the fall. I love to invest in some great neutral ones and also some fun bright colors like pink. They pair well with skirts and dresses.See full outfit post here.
- Vests: Quilted vests and fur vests are always in for fall. They really add a lot to a look and are perfect for when the weather isn’t cool enough for a jacket. See full outfit post here.
- Stripes: I love to wear a striped top or dress combined with leopard shoes. The patterns work well together, juxtaposing stripes with spots. See full outfit post here.
- Chambray: This lightweight denim fabric is perfect for fall. I love chambray dresses and button down chambray tops. They’re a great neutral and a perfect texture for fall. See full outfit post here.
- Flannel: Flannel dresses or button downs are so cozy and always in style. See full outfit post here.
- Suede/Corduroy Mini Skirt: These are perfect for early fall and can be transitioned to colder weather with a sweater or long cardigan. See full outfit post here.
- A Wool Hat: Jake isn’t fond of hats, but I think they really add to a look. See full outfit post here.
- Little Black Dress: I wrote a whole blog post about the LBD recently. These are perfect for all year, but especially fall. See full outfit post here.
- Sweater Dresses: These are my favorite because you can just grab and go. You know they will be comfortable and don’t need much to have a cute outfit. I am dying to get this fun pink one I linked here. See full outfit post here.
- Scarfs: These not only add a lot to a look, but they also are so cozy. I cannot get enough scarves. See full outfit post here.
- Animal Print: I love to add pops of animal print like snake to a look to really make it look like fall. See full outfit post here.
- Faux Leather Spanx Leggings: It took me years to jump on the Spanx legging trends, but they are one of my fall staples because they add so much to a look and are comfortable. I did size up because my regular size was snug on me (I am bigger on my bottom half). I will also say that these are leggings and not pants, so for me I have to wear more of a tunic top for them to look good on me. See full outfit post here.
- Black Jeans: Y’all know by now that I’m not a huge jeans person, but I love a good pair of black or dark jeans when it starts to cool off. This is a wardrobe staple that goes with everything. See full outfit post here.
What is your favorite fall staple?