Shop My Outfit/Decor:
My 2020 word of the year was “embrace”, especially with the changes during pregnancy and becoming a new mom soon. Honestly it couldn’t be more fitting right now with all of the changes we are going through globally with COVID-19. The first week of socially distancing was a struggle to me to adjust. I’ve gone through every emotion, especially knowing that Jake could easily be around the virus working in medicine and not even know it. I am slowly learning to go with my word of the year and embrace the change of being home all day/social distancing with our county currently being in a shelter-in-place mandate. With all of this extra time spent at home, there is so much I can do to prepare our home for Scarlett’s arrival. This is a good time to get it done while I have the extra time. I wanted to share the at home projects I’m doing/the nesting projects I’m taking advantage of right now.
At Home Projects I’m Taking Advantage Of:
- Cooking: We have done some takeout because we want to support some of our favorite local businesses, but we are mostly cooking in. Jake and I have been joking around that, with the quarantine, we’re eating better than normal. Before things got bad we did a big grocery haul and stocked up on basics, then last week got some meats from a local restaurant that was selling their supplies curbside. We hadn’t been able to find ground beef or eggs anywhere until they started selling their supplies online. Right now with us not having the luxury of being able to run to the store for an ingredient we need, I am learning to be creative with what I cook. I have gone through our supplies and come up with a list of things I could make with ingredients so I don’t run out of ideas. We have also really been taking advantage of our grill and making things that last for several days in a row, then changing up sides.
- Deep cleaning/coming up with a schedule to maintain cleaning: I have been cleaning a lot and I will be coming up with an easy schedule where I do 1-2 things to easily maintain and make cleaning easy. This will especially be helpful when baby girl comes.
- Clean up patio: Our patio is one of our favorite spots in the house. With this good weather lately I am cleaning up the coating of pollen and ordering some new plants from a local plant store that delivers.
- Organizing: This is the best time to get your home organization projects done. The best advice I was given was to focus on one space at a time. I have been going room by room and closet by closet organizing.
- Closets: I am still going through closets and coming up with the best system
- Pantry: I finished organizing our pantry this weekend.
- Linen Closet: I just got some containers in and cannot wait to get our linen closet functional
- Blog Room: I have shared the process of cleaning my blog room/guest room on my stories. I am almost done.
- Bathrooms: I am cleaning under the sinks and getting everything organized.
- Kitchen: under the sink and all cabinets/drawers
- Walks: We are really enjoying this time outside.
- Getting rid of stuff: Although I won’t be physically donating until this ends (unless I can find someone to pick up from our house or a contactless donation), I am getting rid of a lot of clothes to make room for Scarlett. I also finally put all of my sorority t-shirts from college in an airtight bag and put all of my winter things in airtight bags under the bed.
- Create storage: With an older home we have limited storage. I am utilizing everything, such as over-the-door storage, our entry bench (see post here), and our bedroom bench (see post here).
- Freeing up phone memory and make room for photos: I am a hoarder of photos on my phone, so I am going through and freeing up space.
- Folding drawer items Marie Kondo style
- Pantry stock list: Keeping track of what we already have in stock will help me when grocery shopping so I don’t over-buy.
- Clean freezer: I got this done right before the Coronavirus hit hard so we could have enough space. Luckily I’ve done a good job at not wasting food lately.
- Finish nursery: I am really close, but am still waiting for some things to create more storage to get organized
- Find a pediatrician: We are doing a phone call with a pediatrician that we might use Friday.
- Plan content for when I’m on maternity leave from my blog
- Finish buying things we need for baby girl and decide on what diapers we want to use
Pack hospital bag: I’ve been working on getting a lot ordered lately.
Sort through sizes/wash baby clothes/blankets
- Find an online class for sleep safety and parenting: Unfortunately our in person class was canceled, so I am looking for an online class.
- Maternity pics: With all of the craziness going on we may not get to do real maternity pictures, but I am trying to plan to take some ourselves if possible.
- Sidewalk chalk
- Home projects: hang that gallery wall you’ve always wanted
- Update a new space: refinish some furniture to change up the look for a room
- Start a new Netflix series
- Wine tasting at home
- Dress up at home for a date night
- Board games
- Work out
- Have a dance party
- Read a book
- Create a bucket list
- Facetime friends/family
- Self care: have at home spa night with nails and skincare
- Plan a vacation for the future
- Have a picnic in your backyard
What are you doing around the house to embrace this time?