Shop My Outfit:
Right after Christmas, Jake and I visited Kansas City for our annual Chiefs football game with his family. Jake has been going to Chiefs games since he was a little boy, and I started joining in on the tradition once we got engaged. Growing up in Oklahoma without a local NFL team, you’re either a Kansas City Chiefs or a Dallas Cowboys fan (there are some Denver Broncos fans too, but Jake refuses to acknowledge their existence). Jake grew up a Chiefs fan and convinced this Dallas girl to become a Chiefs fan, too. They’re really good this year (if they win this weekend, they go to the Super Bowl!), so it’s been even more fun to watch them.
If you’ve seen my other travel guides, you are probably surprised that this one isn’t as comprehensive. When we go to Kansas City, it’s always mainly for the game. We don’t do a whole lot of other stuff, but there are a couple areas we always like to go to. There are several districts that have a lot of fun things to do in them.
Tips: Kansas City gets very cold in the winter, so keep an eye on the weather and dress warm. The past few times we’ve been, there has been at least some snow.
Where to stay: We always stay near the Country Club Plaza. There is so much to do in that area, and it’s a close location to other attractions, too. It can be kind of confusing because Kansas City itself is split between the states of Kansas and Missouri. The Plaza and Chiefs’ stadium are both in the Missouri side of Kansas City.
What to Do:
- Eat BBQ: If you go to Kansas City without trying barbeque, you’re truly missing out. Our my favorite BBQ restaurant is Jack Stacks’. They have several locations, but we love the one at the Country Club Plaza. Their burnt ends are AMAZING. I promise, you’ll thank me later. This proud Texan will even admit Kansas City has my favorite BBQ.
- Other good BBQ- Gates BBQ is good too, but nothing compares to Jack Stack.
- Q39 comes highly recommended, but we’ve never had it. Hopefully we can try it next time.
- Shop/Eat at The Country Club Plaza:
This is a beautiful district featuring 100 shops and 30 restaurants. This is where these photos were taken. We went right after Christmas, and it was magical at night with all of the gorgeous Christmas lights. The architecture is beautiful to begin with, and the lights blew me away. Some of my favorite shops there are Anthropologie, Kendra Scott and J. Crew. Like I said above, my favorite restaurant there is Jack Stack, but they have several other great ones. We enjoyed Brio, which has good Italian food and bellinis. If you want to end the night with a drink, I recommend Cooper’s Hawk Winery. You can get wine flights there, which are my favorite.
- Power and Light District: This is another fun district with great restaurants and bars. We didn’t get to go this time, but it’s such a fun area.
- See A Chiefs Game: Of course, this was the whole purpose of our trip. The Chiefs games are so fun and have a lot of neat traditions. They are famous for having the best tailgating in the NFL, and their crowd set the record for loudest crowd in world history. Chiefs games are truly a party. Hopefully they will be Super Bowl bound this year!
Have a great weekend! I just celebrated my 2nd blogging anniversary, so stay turned for an upcoming post on it.