Happy Valentine’s Day! I wanted to do something a little different than my normal fashion post and share my 14 favorite things I love about my husband, Jake in honor of today’s holiday. Recently I read a comment on a thread of blog haters about me saying it’s so bizarre that I still am reminiscing on my wedding almost 4 years later and saying it’s the best day of my life. My response to this is, when you get to marry the person you love doing life with, of course it’s the best day of your life! Our wedding was perfect in my opinion and there is no shame in reminiscing on it. It’s the day that started our marriage and I adore my husband. Jake is the best husband and he deserves to be recognized, so here are my 14 favorite things about him.
My 14 Favorite things about Jake:
- He has sacrificed so much by attending medical school so he can provide a fantastic life for me and our future children one day. Med school has been hard, and there have been many times I was jealous of “normal” couples. Over the past 3 years, so many nights and weekends have been spent with Jake having to study most of the time. Thankfully, 4th year has been night and day from the first 3 years! He has so much free time this year to where now I’m the one who is too busy to do fun stuff sometimes! I still don’t know how Jake did those first 3 years; he had one span of about 40 days before his first board exam where he woke up early, studied for literally the entire day, then went to bed and started all over again the next day. I couldn’t have done that for 2 days, let alone 40! I am thankful he has made the sacrifice and still is, as residency will be hard work too.
- He is a genius. Jake is literally the smartest person I know and I find this so attractive. He got awarded a National Merit scholarship his senior year of high school (given to top scoring individuals on the PSAT, this gave him a full ride scholarship to almost every college in the country). He was recruited hard for college and ultimately attended Oklahoma State University, where it was fate that we met. He got 2 degrees in Biology and Economics (he’s always correcting people, including me in this post, that he actually got two entirely separate degrees as opposed to the more common “double majoring”) and had a minor in Microbiology & Molecular Genetics. In med school, he has continued to excel. Getting into med school is very challenging and he has done fantastic. His 3rd year he made straight As. Most people cannot say this as 3rd year is by far the most challenging year. He scored in the top 20% nationwide on his first medical board exam, Step 1 (USMLE). This test is very important for residency. He was recently invited to be inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society. AOA is given to a select amount of students, with schools being able to award it to no more than the top 16% of each class. In a little over a month, he will match into residency and I know he will be a great resident.
- He cleans the dishes all the time without me asking and doesn’t expect recognition.
- He is why I love cats! Funny story, before falling in love with our cat, Wom-Wom (story here) I hated cats. Now I am obsessed with them and he even takes care of her by cleaning her litter box and feeding her. He says he has no problem always cleaning the litter box as long as I take care of our future kids’ diapers (we’ll see about that one lol)!
- He is good with people and well-liked by his peers. Jake will be the best doctor because not only is he smart, he is good with people. This will help him have great bedside manner and he will absolutely excel as a physician.
- Jake is funny and sarcastic. Like me, at first he can be pretty quiet if he doesn’t know someone well, but he is very funny and sarcastic. This makes our time together so much more joyful.
- He is handsome. Smart and good looking, how did I win the jack pot?
- He is kind. Jake has always treated me like a princess and I am blessed to have him.
- He always lets me pick what we do or where we go to eat.
- He is a gentleman and always opens door. Y’all, chivalry is not dead. He always opens the door for me and lets me go in the door first.
- He motivates me to workout, as he always goes to the gym at night several times a week. I don’t always enjoy working out, but he is the reason why I have consistently worked out. He even spots me on bench press, though unfortunately I’m not quite strong enough to return the favor for him!
- He supports me in all I do. I know he doesn’t love to take photos for my blog, but from day 1 he has been so supportive and has taken tons of photos with only a slight bit of complaining. I cannot thank him enough.
- We are basically the same person. There have been so many times that we have had the same exact ideas. They say opposites attract, but that’s not the truth in our case. Doing life with someone so similar to me is incredible.
- He helps me get out of my comfort zone. I am the type of person that doesn’t take risks. There have been some times recently where he has told me to try something I want to do but was reluctant about attempting because the worst thing that happens is I can be told no.
I hope you enjoyed learning a little about my marriage with Jake. Spring is around the corner. What kind of posts would you like to see?
P.S. I am hoping to have another blog post up tomorrow or Friday sharing how to “decode” the dress code for a formal event, so stay turned. You won’t want to miss it, so make sure to subscribe to my blog here or follow my Facebook or Instagram accounts.
Shop Courtney’s Look:
Shop Jake’s Look:
You two are precious!! I loved reading this – it is obvious you are smitten with your sweet hubby! Happy Valentine’s Day!
Awww thanks, Amanda. Yes I definitely am 🙂 happy Valentine’s Day to you too.
Sounds like Jake is a keeper and works really hard at making you happy. Sure you both are very supportive.
Thank you, Candy! He is absolutely a keeper and really does try so hard. Yes, I believe it takes two effort from two to be happy 🙂
Love this and loved reading a post dedicated to your husband. #marraigerocks
Aw thank you for reading! Marriage truly is the best
Well, how could I possibly not love this blog post? As Jake’s mother this post makes my heart happy. I am proud my son is such a gentleman. He has always worked hard to reach any and every goal he has set for himself. Of course I could go on and on about him and his accomplishments, but I won’t. Instead, I would like to point out to any and every single one of the “blog haters” that they most certainly could learn a lesson from you. You have shown such class and grace with the way you have handled their unnecessary hurtful comments. I am very proud of you and your ability to have compassion to those who purposefully write these things to hurt others. I am so thankful to have such a mature and graceful woman as the mother of my future grandchildren. I will be praying they find the love and happiness you two share and that the jealousy (my opinion) and hate leave their hearts. Love you Courtney!
Thank you so much, Cheryl! I am so glad you loved it:) Jake is the best and I am thankful he was brought up by such amazing parents that I am proud to call my in-laws. I really appreciate your kind words. I love you too <3
You rock, Courtney! Way to take a negative comment and make it into something beautiful. This post was so sweet to read! It was fun to read that he was the reason you now love cats too! And #14 is just fantastic. What an awesome Valentine’s Day post!
Aw thank you so much, Lindsey! It was hard at first but I think the negative comment made me a stronger person. I am glad you liked this post. I hope y’all have a fabulous Valentine’s Day.
Jake sounds like a winner, for sure, and I’m happy you recognize and appreciate all of his wonderful characteristics. I hope you two have an incredible Valentine’s Day today!
Thank you so much, Erin! He really is amazing. I appreciate your kind words and hope you have a lovely Valentine’s Day as well.
My heart is melting!! You guys are so sweet and this blog post reflects you love and admiration for your husband. As One Swainky Couple, we support!!! <3 Love you guys so dang much!
Katherine | http://www.oneswainkycouple.com
Thank you so much, Katherine. ❤️I had so much fun writing this post. I kept thinking of reasons and had to cut it down. Thank y’all for the support. We love y’all too ❤️❤️❤️
What a sweet post! Hope you both had a wonderful Valentine’s Day!
Thank you so much, Jordin! I hope you had a lovely V-Day!
Aww, I love that you love each other so much! And that dress looks gorgeous on you!
Thank you so much! What a sweet comment. <3
Such a nice post nice post on Jake , It is easy to see how you 2 are so much in love , the pics of both of you are so cute, he is handsome and dressed so smartly and you gorgeous and looking fabulous as always. I really appreciate Jake so much too, because I know he is the person on the other side of the camera for all your great posts! Have a great day, hugs, Terri xo.
Aww you’re so kind, Terri! I had fun writing this post because I do adore him. It was fun having him as the spotlight for once <3
This was amazing to read!!!
Thank you so much!