Happy Valentine’s Day! I wanted to do something a little different than my normal fashion post and share my 14 favorite things I love about my husband, Jake in honor of today’s holiday. Recently I read a comment on a thread of blog haters about me saying it’s so bizarre that I still am reminiscing on my wedding almost 4 years later and saying it’s the best day of my life. My response to this is, when you get to marry the person you love doing life with, of course it’s the best day of your life! Our wedding was perfect in my opinion and there is no shame in reminiscing on it. It’s the day that started our marriage and I adore my husband. Jake is the best husband and he deserves to be recognized, so here are my 14 favorite things about him.
My 14 Favorite things about Jake:
- He has sacrificed so much by attending medical school so he can provide a fantastic life for me and our future children one day. Med school has been hard, and there have been many times I was jealous of “normal” couples. Over the past 3 years, so many nights and weekends have been spent with Jake having to study most of the time. Thankfully, 4th year has been night and day from the first 3 years! He has so much free time this year to where now I’m the one who is too busy to do fun stuff sometimes! I still don’t know how Jake did those first 3 years; he had one span of about 40 days before his first board exam where he woke up early, studied for literally the entire day, then went to bed and started all over again the next day. I couldn’t have done that for 2 days, let alone 40! I am thankful he has made the sacrifice and still is, as residency will be hard work too.
- He is a genius. Jake is literally the smartest person I know and I find this so attractive. He got awarded a National Merit scholarship his senior year of high school (given to top scoring individuals on the PSAT, this gave him a full ride scholarship to almost every college in the country). He was recruited hard for college and ultimately attended Oklahoma State University, where it was fate that we met. He got 2 degrees in Biology and Economics (he’s always correcting people, including me in this post, that he actually got two entirely separate degrees as opposed to the more common “double majoring”) and had a minor in Microbiology & Molecular Genetics. In med school, he has continued to excel. Getting into med school is very challenging and he has done fantastic. His 3rd year he made straight As. Most people cannot say this as 3rd year is by far the most challenging year. He scored in the top 20% nationwide on his first medical board exam, Step 1 (USMLE). This test is very important for residency. He was recently invited to be inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society. AOA is given to a select amount of students, with schools being able to award it to no more than the top 16% of each class. In a little over a month, he will match into residency and I know he will be a great resident.
- He cleans the dishes all the time without me asking and doesn’t expect recognition.
- He is why I love cats! Funny story, before falling in love with our cat, Wom-Wom (story here) I hated cats. Now I am obsessed with them and he even takes care of her by cleaning her litter box and feeding her. He says he has no problem always cleaning the litter box as long as I take care of our future kids’ diapers (we’ll see about that one lol)!
- He is good with people and well-liked by his peers. Jake will be the best doctor because not only is he smart, he is good with people. This will help him have great bedside manner and he will absolutely excel as a physician.
- Jake is funny and sarcastic. Like me, at first he can be pretty quiet if he doesn’t know someone well, but he is very funny and sarcastic. This makes our time together so much more joyful.
- He is handsome. Smart and good looking, how did I win the jack pot?
- He is kind. Jake has always treated me like a princess and I am blessed to have him.
- He always lets me pick what we do or where we go to eat.
- He is a gentleman and always opens door. Y’all, chivalry is not dead. He always opens the door for me and lets me go in the door first.
- He motivates me to workout, as he always goes to the gym at night several times a week. I don’t always enjoy working out, but he is the reason why I have consistently worked out. He even spots me on bench press, though unfortunately I’m not quite strong enough to return the favor for him!
- He supports me in all I do. I know he doesn’t love to take photos for my blog, but from day 1 he has been so supportive and has taken tons of photos with only a slight bit of complaining. I cannot thank him enough.
- We are basically the same person. There have been so many times that we have had the same exact ideas. They say opposites attract, but that’s not the truth in our case. Doing life with someone so similar to me is incredible.
- He helps me get out of my comfort zone. I am the type of person that doesn’t take risks. There have been some times recently where he has told me to try something I want to do but was reluctant about attempting because the worst thing that happens is I can be told no.
I hope you enjoyed learning a little about my marriage with Jake. Spring is around the corner. What kind of posts would you like to see?
P.S. I am hoping to have another blog post up tomorrow or Friday sharing how to “decode” the dress code for a formal event, so stay turned. You won’t want to miss it, so make sure to subscribe to my blog here or follow my Facebook or Instagram accounts.
Shop Courtney’s Look:
Shop Jake’s Look: