Shop My Outfit:
*USE CODE: 1LIFEO15 FOR 15% OFF MY PINK COAT*
Happy Valentine’s Day! Jake and I actually celebrated Valentine’s Day on Tuesday with a surprise date consisting of Taco Tuesday and a margarita. Jake will be working all weekend, so it was perfect. Every Valentine’s Day, I do a special blog post that is related to the day of love. My first year of blogging, I shared our love story here, and last year I shared 14 of my favorite things about Jake here. This year, I thought it would be fun to share 14 fun facts you may or may not know about Jake and my relationship. While I would’ve loved to have Jake in these photos, his schedule is too busy right now. Thankfully he is now finally more than halfway through his SICU (Surgery ICU) month!
14 Facts about Jake and My Relationship:
- Jake and I met at a college fraternity party on March 27, 2010. You can read more about how we met here. During our wedding ceremony, our preacher made sure to share with our guests that we met at a party!
- Our first date was right around Valentine’s Day, 8 years ago. Jake, being the clever person he is, told me he needed to know my favorite type of restaurant for a survey his economics class was doing. I said sushi and he surprised me with a sushi date.
- I made the first move when kissing Jake: Jake and I started off as friends and I actually was dating someone else during that time. When that relationship quickly ended, I knew I wanted to be with Jake. One night when we were hanging out, I made the first move and kissed him. After that, that we soon became officially a couple. This is not like me at all and I am still surprised that I did that as I am typing this out.
- We used to call each other hubs and wife before we were even dating. Weird..I know, but we just knew. I remember my brother saw me texting ‘hubs’ and he freaked out.
- Jake proposed to me on our college graduation day. I had emphasized the importance of having family in town when we got engaged. Jake thought of the perfect day and the most symbolic way to propose. You can read more about our proposal in this blog post.
- Jake did an extra year of college so we could graduate together. Jake is 9 months older than me and he got two degrees as well as a minor (degrees in Biology and Economics, with a minor in Microbiology & Molecular Genetics). He decided to make his biology degree an Honors College degree (requiring him to do a year-long thesis with lab research) so we could graduate at the same time. He’s so sweet!
- We did premarital counseling and one of our big marriage goals was to have a weekly date night. I am proud to say that we’ve been great about sticking to this goal. I honestly don’t think there’s been one single week since we got married where we’ve missed a date, even when Jake has been at his busiest.
- We got married on Jake’s birthday: when planning our wedding, we knew we wanted a summer wedding. When the venue gave us a list of summer dates that were available, Jake said he wanted to get married on his birthday (June 28th) because it would be the best birthday present. Thankfully his birthday also happened to be on a Saturday that year, so it worked out perfect.
- We had 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 read at our wedding. It is one of our favorite verses about love. We said the traditional wedding vows, but wrote each other personal letters that we exchanged beforehand. We were afraid if we did personal vows we might be too emotional during the wedding.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. -1 Corinthians 13:4-8
- We did not see each other on our wedding day until I walked down the aisle. I wanted to go to the traditional route and have our first look during the wedding. I was so nervous before our wedding, and luckily a glass of champagne before walking down the aisle calmed me down.
- We have a 15 pound Maine Coon kitty named Wom-Wom. I never liked cats until I met her. You can read the story of her name here.
- In our relationship, I am the one who cooks (unless it’s grilling), cleans, and stalks our bank account to make sure we’re on budget and plans trips/dates. Jake is the one who pays the bills, books hotels/flights, takes the trash out and cleans up after our cat. He is very busy, so I do my best to take things off of his plate.
- We want to have at least two children (hopefully our first relativity soon). It’s really cute, but Jake is really ready to be a day. I am the one who has held us back this long.
- If we have a son, his middle name will be Que. It’s actually Jake’s middle name and is a family name that we want to pass onto a son(s).
I hope y’all have an amazing Valentine’s Day! What are some fun facts about you and your significant other?
Awww this is so sweet Courtney!! Loved learning more about y’all. And the cutest outfit!
Aww thank you so much, Annaliese! It was a fun post to write.
Aww! What a fun post! I didn’t know some of these and it was fun to read! Love ya’ll together, always will! 🙂 Hope you have a great day and fabulous rest of the week!
Katherine | http://www.oneswainkycouple.com
Thank you so much! I am glad you liked this post.I kept thinking of facts I should’ve added after I published it hahah. Aww I appreciate that. We love you and Brandon together too <3 I hope your weekend was great.
Love this post idea! Making a mental note to steal it for next year’s Valentines 🙂 Cole and I had our first date at a sushi restaurant, too! Also, I love that dress, so fun and flirty. Hope you guys have a great Valentines Day!
Thank you so much! I am making a mental note to steal your 14 things to look for in a husband. That was genus! That’s so funny, was it in Stilly? Our V-Day was very crazy (with the tree falling), but we knew we couldn’t celebrate much anyway due to Jake’s schedule. We’re celebrating next weekend. Cannot wait.
Such a fun post!!!! I hope yall enjoyed your tacos 🙂 🙂
Thank you, sweet Kaitlin! We really did. That restaurant only does tacos on Tuesday and they’re amazing!
Aw! I loved reading this. That’s too funny your preacher brought up you met at party, haha. #2 is so sweet too! That was clever. And wow! #6! That’s really amazing. You two have such a fantastic relationship!
Happy belated Valentine’s Day!
Thank you so much, Lindsey! It was really funny, all of our guests laughed. I know, Jake is sooo thoughtful. Aw thank you, you and your hubby are sooo cute. Happy V-Day to you too.
Hi Courtney! I am glad you got to do taco tuesday with some margeritas . I am sure Jake needed the date time with what little time he has off. I have to say that dress is supercute on you! It is so feminine with the cut and the polka dots . The jacket is a lovely colorful contrast to it and I love the roses you are holding, a true valentines outfit. This outfit is banned in Minnesota until the end of April i think!! Just too cold but I am glad you can wear it! Aww so cool that you met at a party. How sneaky of Jake to find your favorite restaurant. I am surprised you made the first move for the kiss as you have a shy personality like Me , but you knew you wanted this boy and I commend you for it!! That does seem strange you called each other hubs and wife, but maybe you both knew the future. How nice that there was family there for the proposal!! Jake is sweet for making sure you both graduated together, very loving gesture. Date night is important , we dont get weekly for sure but we did not have it as a goal during premarital classes we did. it is nice . Jake will never get a better birthday present than you Courtney!! He will never have an excuse to forget your anniversary either. My Mother -in-law also has her Birthday on June 28th. I love the 1 Corinthians verse, Love never does fail. I am glad the champagne calmed you down before the walk down the aisle! You have a very balanced home chore life, each plays their part. Aww you will be ready for kids when you are ready, God will help you know when the time is right. Que is a unique and lovely name, if you have Girls you can maybe use a variation similar to Que.
We met in a bar in Queens New York called “The starting Gate” It was their Christmas party and we both were eyeing each other as we sat with friends and at the end of the night exchanged numbers! The Priest who baptised Me also celebrated our wedding which was quite special. We got married October 23rd 2004. Thanks for this post Courtney, take care Terri xo.
Hey Terri! Thank you so much. Yes, it was much needed. Aw thank you. Yes, this is very much an outfit for not really cold weather. I do enjoy the warmer weather here. It’s really funny looking back that I did kiss him first. Not like me at all! It was so sweet he planned it to have our family around. He is so thoughtful for adding a year of college to stay longer for me. That’s so cool your MIL’s B-Day is June 28th too. 1st Corinithains is so special. That’s a good idea. I have never thought to use Que for a girl.
Aww that’s sweet y’all met in Queens New York at a bar. What a sweet story. So special. I loved learning more about you. You too!
You are so welcome Courtney! You could feminise it with Quesa , Queissa . But you can wait until that day comes! Happy Monday, Terri xo.
These are so interesting. Love that you got married on his birthday!
thank you, Jennifer! It was his idea 🙂
What an adorable post! And I love that he did an extra year of college to graduate with you!
Aw thank you, April! It was a sweet gesture. It was good for his resume too.