Shop My Outfit:
*USE CODE: 1LIFEO15 FOR 15% OFF MY PINK COAT*
Happy Valentine’s Day! Jake and I actually celebrated Valentine’s Day on Tuesday with a surprise date consisting of Taco Tuesday and a margarita. Jake will be working all weekend, so it was perfect. Every Valentine’s Day, I do a special blog post that is related to the day of love. My first year of blogging, I shared our love story here, and last year I shared 14 of my favorite things about Jake here. This year, I thought it would be fun to share 14 fun facts you may or may not know about Jake and my relationship. While I would’ve loved to have Jake in these photos, his schedule is too busy right now. Thankfully he is now finally more than halfway through his SICU (Surgery ICU) month!
14 Facts about Jake and My Relationship:
- Jake and I met at a college fraternity party on March 27, 2010. You can read more about how we met here. During our wedding ceremony, our preacher made sure to share with our guests that we met at a party!
- Our first date was right around Valentine’s Day, 8 years ago. Jake, being the clever person he is, told me he needed to know my favorite type of restaurant for a survey his economics class was doing. I said sushi and he surprised me with a sushi date.
- I made the first move when kissing Jake: Jake and I started off as friends and I actually was dating someone else during that time. When that relationship quickly ended, I knew I wanted to be with Jake. One night when we were hanging out, I made the first move and kissed him. After that, that we soon became officially a couple. This is not like me at all and I am still surprised that I did that as I am typing this out.
- We used to call each other hubs and wife before we were even dating. Weird..I know, but we just knew. I remember my brother saw me texting ‘hubs’ and he freaked out.
- Jake proposed to me on our college graduation day. I had emphasized the importance of having family in town when we got engaged. Jake thought of the perfect day and the most symbolic way to propose. You can read more about our proposal in this blog post.
- Jake did an extra year of college so we could graduate together. Jake is 9 months older than me and he got two degrees as well as a minor (degrees in Biology and Economics, with a minor in Microbiology & Molecular Genetics). He decided to make his biology degree an Honors College degree (requiring him to do a year-long thesis with lab research) so we could graduate at the same time. He’s so sweet!
- We did premarital counseling and one of our big marriage goals was to have a weekly date night. I am proud to say that we’ve been great about sticking to this goal. I honestly don’t think there’s been one single week since we got married where we’ve missed a date, even when Jake has been at his busiest.
- We got married on Jake’s birthday: when planning our wedding, we knew we wanted a summer wedding. When the venue gave us a list of summer dates that were available, Jake said he wanted to get married on his birthday (June 28th) because it would be the best birthday present. Thankfully his birthday also happened to be on a Saturday that year, so it worked out perfect.
- We had 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 read at our wedding. It is one of our favorite verses about love. We said the traditional wedding vows, but wrote each other personal letters that we exchanged beforehand. We were afraid if we did personal vows we might be too emotional during the wedding.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. -1 Corinthians 13:4-8
- We did not see each other on our wedding day until I walked down the aisle. I wanted to go to the traditional route and have our first look during the wedding. I was so nervous before our wedding, and luckily a glass of champagne before walking down the aisle calmed me down.
- We have a 15 pound Maine Coon kitty named Wom-Wom. I never liked cats until I met her. You can read the story of her name here.
- In our relationship, I am the one who cooks (unless it’s grilling), cleans, and stalks our bank account to make sure we’re on budget and plans trips/dates. Jake is the one who pays the bills, books hotels/flights, takes the trash out and cleans up after our cat. He is very busy, so I do my best to take things off of his plate.
- We want to have at least two children (hopefully our first relativity soon). It’s really cute, but Jake is really ready to be a day. I am the one who has held us back this long.
- If we have a son, his middle name will be Que. It’s actually Jake’s middle name and is a family name that we want to pass onto a son(s).
I hope y’all have an amazing Valentine’s Day! What are some fun facts about you and your significant other?